Sincerely, Shantelle

View my Portfolio

Lead image for 'Week 5 Challenge - Upcycle'

Witty one-liner goes here

Monday, 2/04/2019: Hi lovelies! I'm a day late getting this up, but my challenge has been decided for the week. I will be tackling an upcycle (which for those who aren't familiar, is using an exisiting garment/sheet/curtain/other textile to create something new). I already have a dress that I purchased from Goodwill for this exact purpose. It had a hole in it, but it was cheap and otherwise too amazing to pass up. The dress will become something new for my daughter, so I will have her try it on after school, then get a pic posted for you! Can't wait to show y'all the transformation that takes place!

So here is what I am working with. This sparkly, heart, knit polyester dress, complete with shoulder pads is going to become something suitable for an almost 10-year-old. Perfect for V-day, too! I'm a little excited. She was very puzzled lol.

Purchased this sparkly dress at Goodwill for $2
Purchased this sparkly dress at Goodwill for $2

Saturday, February 9, 2019: Last night, I chose a base pattern and started cutting fabric. Tonight I actually began the construction process. I decided on the Brooklyn from Made for Mermaids, but I cheated by using the hems and side seams from the original dress on the skirt portion and the sleeves. I also added a neckband instead of facing because I didn’t want to deal with any hemming since I didn’t have to do any elsewhere, and I always topstitch my facings. I will finish it up tomorrow morning!

Started assembly
Started assembly

Sunday, February 10, 2019: I finished the dress up this morning and I think it came out okay. This fabric is quite heavy and stretchy, and it made the gathering look unflattering, to me.

YUCK! Look at those gathers!
YUCK! Look at those gathers!

Because of that, I actually separated the bodice and skirt and cut it into a peplum instead. I think being able to find my clear elastic would have helped, as it seems like this fabric just doesn’t sit well at seams and would have benefitted from a little reinforcement. I also redid the neckband because I saw that I accidentally serged too much off on the front and it was uneven.

I also found another hole in the fabric as I was re-assembling. Good call to shorten it!
I also found another hole in the fabric as I was re-assembling. Good call to shorten it!
Peplum all done!
Peplum all done!

Anywho, the resulting peplum came out decent enough and my daughter has something to wear to school on V-day. I'll grab modeled shots of her that morning and post them. Now, onto Week 6...