Sincerely, Shantelle

View my Portfolio

Lead image for 'Week 19 Challenge - Buttons'

Witty one-liner goes here

Sunday, May 12, 2019: Following directly after posting my Week 18, I'm here to introduce my Week 19 challenge word. It's BUTTONS. For an extremely long time, buttons were my nemesis, because I didn't trust my machine with making proper buttonholes, nor did I trust myself in handsewing them. 😅 Since I treated myself to a new machine a couple months ago, I truly believe it's opened up a new world of possibility for me, and helps instill a greater confidence in my skill. That being said, not only am I sewing buttons this week, but another woven (WOOT WOOT 🙌🏾). I'll get my Pinspiration posted here probably tomorrow after I do some pattern hunting. Hopping off now to enjoy the rest of my Mother's Day evening. ❤️

Tuesday, May 14, 2019: This is the photo I had saved on Pinterest a while ago! I had planned on using some vertically striped, floral rayon challis that I have, but I'm not sure that I have enough, unfortunately.

I'll be printing my pattern out today to confirm fabric requirments, because sometimes I find I can squeak by with considerably less than a pattern states by tweaking length or taking a little width out. I'll be heading to Hobby Lobby to see what they have, just in case.

Sunday, May 19, 2019: I owe y'all the finished dress, but I procrastinated and didn't get a chance to finish yet. On the plus side, I managed to sew up all of the strikes I have on hand (only to get two more boxes tomorrow 😫) AND get them PLUS finals of two tests photogrpahed over the past couple of days. I do feel accomplished in getting caught up, though, as that rarely happens that I'm ahead. So YAY for small wins. I should be done with this dress tomorrow or Tuesday, hopefully...but I'll be back soon.

Looks like a whole lot of nothing right now, but I know it's gonna be 🔥🔥🔥

Sunday, May 27, 2019: I am finally ALLLL the way done. I've worked on it in bits and pieces between other projects, but today I made myself sit down and finish it. I learned that I took my old computerized sewing machine for granted by never using buttons. Y'all...it took me like 15-20 minutes to sew 16 buttonholes, and then another 15 or 20 to sew the buttons on! WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE??!? Kidding...it was here, I was just too scared to use it. 🙈

As far as the pattern, I chose the Jessica from Mimi G Style, and I had no issues working with it, despite my reluctance to try new pattern designers. I did run into a small problem that almost made this dress end up in the UFO bin, but I think that was moreso my fault, than the pattern's. When I went to sew the facing to the bodice, it wouldn't fit, like the facing was too short. I believe it was the interfacing I used...so I'll need to research interfacings to prevent that from happening again. In the end, I ended up removing 1/4" off the front bodice panels to get the facing to fit, which also improved the fit of the dress a little. If I make it again, I will size down. I sewed XS based on my measurements, which fall squarely into the size, and it's very loose in the sides and back near the upper bust area. I'm considering playing around with adding elastic to this one to make it more comfortable to wear, but overall, it'll do.

I feel so stylish in this and proud of my 16 friggin buttons and buttonholes!! 😍

And y'all... #ItHasPockets