Sincerely, Shantelle

View my Portfolio

Lead image for 'DIY Serger Cone Holder'

Witty one-liner goes here

Hi friends! Today on the blog, I'm sharing with you how I made my serger cone holder. I had intended to get this up sooner, but have just been busy with summer and not had the chance to sit down and write it up. Last year when I was establishing my little sewing area in the living room, I bought a large pegboard from Home Depot and had them cut it into specific sizes that I wanted (can't remember what I asked for or how much I paid). I had primed all of the pieces, but only painted one for my space. My husband is using one for his work space, and this last piece has been in the garage for ages. I've been trying to work hard at keeping my space organized, as my fabric and supply stash has grown exponentially since last year, and I don't want it to take over the entire living room. As it stood, my serger cones were tossed into a cube storage bin, and let's face it, that's not an optimal or desired storage solution for rolls of thread. I decided to go ahead and grab the remaining pegboard from the garage and put it to good use! We don't have tools for cutting wood, so I wanted to find a way to create one without extra stuff needed. Enter, this tutorial. ☺️

To start with, here are the supplies you'll need. I don't remember exact costs because I was using leftovers from a previous project, but I recently bought the dowels ($10) and the glue ($2.50ish). I'd say, with confidence, the entire project could be done in under $25.

  • pegboard cut to your desired size
  • washers, anchors, and screws (or pegboard hanger kit)
  • paint (if you want it to match something)
  • Gorilla glue or other wood glue
  • wooden dowels with the circumference of your pegboard (mine was 1/4" and I bought these from Amazon)
  • wax paper and a hard surface

My first step was to paint my board. As stated, this is an optional step, depending on your desired look. I just used the same sample size paint I bought to paint my first one, because I wanted them to match. I let it dry for the day and came back to work on it in the evening.

An image from Sincerely, Shantelle
An image from Sincerely, Shantelle

I then had to decide how to space out the dowels. I just stuck the dowels in and placed the cones on, to see what looked best for me. Every two had too many gaps for my taste. Every other hole was perfect, as the cones touched, but could still reasonably fit brand new cones with no issue. I urge you to figure out your desired size and figure out spacing BEFORE cutting your board. You have to leave holes emtpy for hanging (I like to use the corners), and if you're doing every other hole and are a stickler for keeping a specific pattern, you'll want to have an odd number of holes. This piece just so happened to be even, and I left a two hole gap down the center because I wanted uniformity. This could be just a me thing, of course, but worth mentioning.

Once you have decided on how you want the dowels placed, it's time to get started gluing. I used an old tabletop that we have lying around and covered it in wax paper for easy cleanup. At first, I was dabbing glue on the ends of each one...but after the first row, it felt like it would take FOREVER. I just squirted a good bit on the wax paper and rolled about 1/2" of the bottom of the dowel in the glue. Don't be stingy with the glue. Cover those suckers up!

I then just stuck them into the hole, and they were a perfect fit. I used a hard surface, because I wanted to be sure I was pushing the dowels all the way to the bottom of the board and that they would all end up as even as possible. Extra glue will ooze out, but Gorilla Glue dries clear, so I was not worried. I would rather have extra glue for extra hold, than for them to fall out later.

I allowed them to dry for about 20 minutes so that it would be a little tacky and less wet, and then came back to kinda straighten the dowels out, as some were a tiny bit tilted. I wanted to make sure they were as straight as possible (though after drying completely, I noticed that a few were not, but meh).

The hardest part was leaving this to dry overnight and not being able to do anything with it. I wanted to assure that the glue cured well, so I abided by it. The next evening, I checked the dowels and they felt really secure. I secured anchors to the little wall by my machines, and hung up the board. The moment of truth was putting all the cones on...

It's PERFECTION!! I even had a few extra hooks left over from my first board, so I could hang my bobbin threads that I use for my coverstitch machine.

Just look at how nice it looks. This was an empty wall in my space that now gives me an extra tool for organization, and also makes me space look put together. No more digging through a bin to find serger thread, and they are all in my face. This is especially helpful because I always order a couple cones of new colors whenever I'm checking out ANYTHING from Wawak, so it's nice to see at-a-glance what I have and don't have.

All this took was leftover materials (under $25 new) and a couple days of time, mostly for the glue to cure. These could be done in sooo many ways, you could get more fancy with the decorating of the pegboard, customize the size of it (mine holds 80 cones), even spray paint the entire thing at the end if you'd like the dowels painted as well. Possibilities are endless when you make something yourself. I hope you found this blog helpful, and that some of you go on to make your own! I'd love if you share your creation with me on Instagram, using #SewWithSS! Until next time...